Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Nesting

10/15/08

Steve has been very busy these last couple of weeks installing windows, helping me organize the house, and growing a beard. He decided a couple of weeks ago that he would not shave or get a haircut until Dane got here. Our friend, Jason, has decided to stand with Steve as a brother in arms and cease shaving as well. I asked Steve if I could join their campaign but he said absolutely not. So when I got the big call yesterday that Dane would be here on Friday, I ran out back to find Steve and told him to find his razor.

Tonight, he is busy changing the oil in the car and painting the living room. I realize that it is a strange time to want to paint a room but I am chalking it up to him nesting. I am not sure what to do with myself. I keep going from room to room moving things from one pile to another. There needs to be something productive happening here but I am having a hard time telling the difference between up and down.

It hit me around mid-day today that a real person would be coming to live here on Friday night - forever. I think it was a combination of reviewing the drill at the airport with our social worker and saying goodbye to customers over and over again that made it sink in. My stomach started to do flip-flops but in a good way. I remember a similar feeling those first few days after Steve proposed. I guess there's a new man in my life now!

1 comment:

Sue Rockman said...

Michele,

I am so very excited and happy for you and Steve. It is 5:12 and within a couple of hours your son, Dane will be in your loving arms. It will no longer be a dream but an answered prayer. I pray that God will bless you and your family and keep you safe on your trip home. I can not wait to see your son!

Love you,
Sue