Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Dane's 1st Soccer Game

After two weeks of Dane being pretty ambivalent towards soccer, we didn't expect a lot heading to the first game. His coach put him in for the first quarter and after a minute of watching, he ran up to the pack of bumblebees swarming the ball and got in there for a couple of kicks. I'm sure I was "that mom" screaming my head off from the sidelines, cheering him on. Besides, three and four year old kids playing soccer is so adorable you can't help yourself.

Then sometime during the second quarter, he got in one really big kick down the field. He looked over at me with his eyes and mouth open wide and on his face was a look of feeling super awesome about himself. He immediately sprinted across the field into my arms screaming "Mommy! Mommy!" It is a feeling and a memory I will keep tucked in my heart forever.

It's so exciting to see him learn new things on his own and to feel successful doing them. Steve and I couldn't have been prouder if he had scored the winning goal.




This sandpit (I think it's a long jump pit actually) is where Dane has spent most of his time at soccer.




As you can see, the teams were very competitive and focused on winning. haha This shot was taken mid-play btw.





Here is our good buddy, Isaiah, getting some advice from Coach Em.



Dane is working out complex strategies with his Galaxy teammates.


Despite ordering the smallest shirt size they had, he's still swimming in it.




Coach Brett getting the team fired up. That's Dane sitting to his right.






No comments: