Saturday, October 17, 2009

Gotcha Day!


Today is the one year anniversary of Steve and I getting Dane. During dinner last night we were reminiscing about what we were doing the night before. I decided on the way home from my last day at work that I needed to get some sort of video camera and Jill talked me through the purchase at Best Buy. Then Gretchen Olson and Sue Rockman came over to help me finish getting the nursery ready but we ended up sitting on the couch talking. I still think it is a strange feeling to get your house ready for a baby to live there. Especially when you aren't pregnant and have only seen him in pictures.


Life is so different for us now that I hardly recognize Steve and I in pictures as that couple waiting in O'Hare baggage claim. Like any expectant parenets, we were excited but terrified all at the same time. Dane has made it so easy for us to be parents! Even in those first moments, he smiled and cuddled like he knew we were mom and dad. It was such a strange feeling to begin the walk to the car carrying Dane and leaving the airport to take him home. Steve and I kept saying aloud, "We're leaving with a baby" because we felt so strange just walking out of the airport with a baby and no one was stopping us. I think it was in that moment we realized we were now three.


God has blessed us with such an amazing son that I am still astonished that I get to be his mom. It so exciting to hear him calling from his crib every morning because he is still here! To be able to spend every day with him is so wonderful that I don't think I could ask God for one more thing.


Thank you to all of you for all of your support and love over this past year. We have needed and appreciated everyone's prayers and encouragement more than you will ever know.

4 comments:

Michelle and Stefan said...

great to see you're blogging again! I loved watching your video....I'm still typing thru my tears! I remember the day we brought home Alex, and all the emotions are coming up again.

Steve and Mellissa said...

Hello, I'm so glad your going to Blog. Love the video. Made me cry. Missed you guys today. See you on Monday.

Kris said...

I love your blog! I laughed when I read about you two saying "We're leaving with a baby." You left with YOUR baby! Congratulations on one year as a family of 3.

Anonymous said...

I loved watching your video of when you received "your" son. We will probably never see such joy in your face again. It would be pretty hard to top that day. I am so happy for you and Steve. Dane is adorable, and such a happy little boy.......love ya, Aunt Bette