1. His first crush. Dane has recently gotten into a fun kids' show called "The Fresh Beat Band". One of the characters on this show is called Kiki. When she is on screen, he points at the TV and shouts, "Kiki! Kiki!" Sometimes he just points at her and says, "Pretty."
"Kiki"

2. He's sleeping in a toddler bed. This one is bittersweet for me. The crib was one of the last tangible pieces of "baby" that was still around which is why I probably hung onto it so long. The other reason was the anticipation of several nights of interrupted sleep while teaching him to stay in bed. But he made the transition surprisingly easy, even during nap time! I cannot take any credit for any special technique that made this so successful right off the bat. The only thing Steve and I did was stick to the normal nap and bedtimes with the usual routines and making a big deal out of the "big boy" aspect of his new bed. I would have posted a picture of this new bed but he is currently sleeping in it. Hooray for nap time!
3. He is now a very big helper. I mean that sincerely. When asked to do a job, he happily completes it. One of these tasks is picking up his toys all by himself. He does a really good job of putting things where they go and feels so proud of himself when he's done. I can even leave the room and he will continue to pick up all of the toys and then find me to report that he's finished. Again, I can take no credit for this, we were just blessed with a really great kid.
Here he is, feeling very proud of himself for a job well done.


4. Dane is having a speech explosion! We've been concerned about his speech since last fall. After several months of sitting on a waiting list, he began seeing a speech therapist in June and combined with some great coaching from his Aunt Jill (a speech pathologist) I've learned a lot of good strategies to work on his speech during everyday activities. And the more he talks, the funnier he gets. It feels like there's a whole other side to him that we didn't get to see before.
5. We've started working on phonics. Over the summer he picked up his ABC's quickly and was able to sight read 3-4 words. I wasn't drilling him with flashcards or doing anything at all except for reading books like everyone else so it came about as kind of a surprise. Now we've started to go through the alphabet, one letter per week, introducing the sound that goes with that letter. He's also gotten pretty good with his colors and shapes. I've don't have any expectations of him reading early, it's just fun to follow his lead and see what he is capable of learning. To balance things out, he could care less about counting and numbers or eating vegetables. lol

1 comment:
Go Dane! You are doing awesome! Love hearing about how well he is doing with the speech stuff!
Post a Comment